Autodesk Labs: Project Memento
Fix huge meshes coming from reality capture data.
Project Memento is free* Autodesk Labs technology preview of an end-to-end solution for converting any reality capture input (photos, scans) into high quality 3D mesh that can be cleaned up, fixed, and optimized for further digital use or for fabrication.
Project Memento has two goals:
First, to streamline current tedious workflows for creating high quality digital replica from reality capture sensors that involves multiple tools which are often very complex, expensive, and require high expertise.
Second, to solve a big, rarely solved technological challenge: to be able to visualize, handle, analyze, fix and optimize very large meshes. Such meshes are a usual result when converting reality data when a highest quality professional result is demanded.
Memento offers a focused toolset in a fun, clean, modern UI that enables unprecedented ease of use, which we hope will democratize all things reality computing and increase adoption among a wide audience of users.
While we consider this still to be a modest preview of our ambitions plans, we hope you will try the toolset and get a sense of where are we going!
- From Photos to 3D mesh, first iteration (New)
- Supported import file formats: native .RCM, .OBJ, and .STL (New)
Mesh clean up, fixing and handling:
- Fast loading of large meshes (tested with 400mil+ poly)
- Visualization of large mesh geometry + texture (wireframe, solid, textured mode)
- Clean up of unnecessary noise or busy surrounding
- Cutting edge mesh analysis/diagnostic and fixing tools that work on large meshes
- Smart cleanup tools
- Semi-automated and manual mesh fix tools for fixing holes, spikes and particles
- New bridging technique for fixing large holes
- Fixing in Isolation mode to easier work with isolated parts of the bigger mesh
- 10 level undo-redo
- Export to .OBJ or .STL or save as .RCM
Mesh preparation for downstream use:
- Decimation tools during export (1-99% decimation range)
3D Printing support
- Prepare the mesh for 3D printing
- Save as 3D-printable STL
- Direct connection to a variety of 3D printers
- In-product Live update for all upcoming memento updates (New)
* Free technology previews are subject to the terms and conditions of the end-user license and services agreement that accompanies download of the software.
We are granting you rights to participate in ths limited technology preview at no cost to you. Please read and accept the following terms. By joining the project, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms referenced below. Do not join if you do not agree to be bound.
The technology preview is available worldwide, subject to applicable legal and regulatory restrictions. The End User License Agreement (Autodesk Pre-reelase Products Agreement) for this technology preview is available in English. As part of the install process, you will be required to accept and agree to be bound by the terms of the End User License Agreement accompanying the software. Please print and keep a copy of the End User License Agreement for your records.
By joining the project, I agree to the terms outlined above.